Monday, December 12, 2011

How would the civil war affect you if you were a southern belle?

You might have to do your own chores....|||I would resent the Union for coming down to the South and trying to change the way we lived our lives





I would resent the war because it tore our soldiers from their homes to have to repel the Northern aggression.





I would resent the Yankee soldiers because they loot and pillage from our farms and plantations.|||You have to take into account the way that the Plantation owners lived. They did lead a life that was in pure luxury, where they had slaves waiting on them hand and foot. They didn't have any chores to do because it was always done for them. And for women, you went to barbecues and dances, and attracted men. After the war started, their whole way of life was changed - they suddenly had to run the plantation by themselves, and still try to feed who was left there. With many of the men going off to war, the women were the only ones that were left to do the work. If I had to endure what they did, I wouldn't be able to go back to being a southern belle after the war. My whole outlook on life would change.|||It would lower your resources. You wouldn't have as many things to comfort yourself with. There wouldn't be many men around to court you because they'd be at war. And ultimately, when your slaves were freed, your family would probably run out of money, or have a lot less, and you wouldn't have any servants around to pamper you.|||Why it would ruin my cotillion.|||Who knows. I mean... it probably wouldn't? I'd just actually have to start paying my servants.

No comments:

Post a Comment