Thursday, December 8, 2011

Is it inappropriate for this person to behave like this when moving into my apartment?

I just moved into a two-bedroom apartment and am searching for roommates. It's a nice apartment, but it's slow going right now, and in the past 3 weeks I've only had one person serious about moving in.





She's a 41 year old woman, married with 3 kids, who is coming here (to Ohio) temporarily to take some course. I'm 26 and honestly I would prefer a single woman aged 20-30 as a roommate because I would like someone I could relate to, but this woman seemed desperate to find a place quickly so I said she can come meet me and possibly move in.





When we first talked, she said she needed a place right away (by this coming Sunday) and this was the main place she was looking at. We kinda agreed she didn't have to put her name on the lease since it was temporary, but I did say it was important that she give me at least 30 days notice before moving out, and she agreed. She also said she can't give me a deposit, which already made me a little leery right there. I can understand not putting her name on the lease if she's only going to be here a short time, but why does she expect me to take her into my apartment without a deposit? And she immediately asked me if I could come down on the rent and utilities for her. To be honest I'm a little annoyed that she would even ask that. We would be ROOMMATES, everything would be equal so why the H should I have to pay more than she does? If I "come down on the rent" for her it would be money out of MY pocket, and that's not fair.





I really feel that in this situation, if anything I should INCREASE the rent for her, not decrease it - she's not putting her name on the lease and is thus a liability to me. But I wouldn't do that because I like to be fair - I still think though that she should pay as much as me and not less.





Why does she think she's entitled to pay less than I do for the very same thing? And why does she not understand that there's no reason for me to take her as a roommate when I can probably find someone who is willing to pay the deposit, put her name on the lease, and pay the rent as it SHOULD be paid??





Then, this morning, she came to the apartment with her husband (from Canada, and I live in Ohio), and asked AGAIN if I could come down on the price, even though I had clearly explained to her when she asked before why that was not possible. (I'm a college graduate with tons of loans by the way). I explained again that I cannot do that. She then dropped the bombs that she wanted to pay the rent in two installments per month (instead of all the rent at the beginning of the month), and that she didn't think she could give 30 days notice when she left because she may go back to visit her family at any time and immigration could possibly keep her at the border. This started really raising red flags for me because she doesn't want to give me a deposit, and if things are done on her terms it would make it very easy for her to just leave whenever she wants, taking the key and everything, not giving me time to find another roommate, and screwing me over and detracting from the deposit that I had to give the landlord. She and her husband kept talking about how the apartment doesn't look well-maintained (it's no palace, but it's fine and well worth the price to me), and she even had the nerve to say I should TRUST her to pay me the rent "at some point" even if she doesn't give me the full first month's rent right away, because the first of the month has already passed, I've obviously already paid the rent, and I don't urgently need her money anyway! They also want to pay $275 for February when the rent is $375 - I said I would prorate it, but even prorated it's $310, not $275 that they *claimed* they had calculated.





As for what I'm going to do: when she calls tonight, I think I am going to politely yet firmly tell her that she needs to give me first month's rent and deposit before I give her the key or else this will not work. I can find someone who doesn't feel that they're entitled to all sorts of unusual privileges, even if I have to pay the full rent by myself for all of February. Is this reasonable of me, or am I crazy?





Sorry about the long post, I just had to vent LOL. And I really know pretty much what I want to do, I just wanted to get input on whether it's understandable that I'm so annoyed. Are her questions and requests inappropriate? And is it normal/understandable that I'm a little ticked by them? It mostly bothers me because she and her husband seem to be trying to take advantage of me and feel that they're entitled to things which would burden ME.|||I'd avoid taking in this type of roommate. You shouldn't have to come down in rent at all. If you've set a firm price, then that should be it. There should be no room for negotiation.





Do you have an ad or flyer? You should make one, post it on your door or other places that have bulletin boards. Require a deposit and after the rent amount, put FIRM.





You don't want to be stuck with a deadbeat who can't or won't pay their fair share. It's not fair to you.





I'd get rid of the problem before it turns into one.|||Don't rent to her. it is very inappropriate that she is being disrespectful of what you already told her. No way I would rent to some one like that|||I wouldn't touch this deal with a ten-foot pole. These people Do. Not. Have. Any. Money.|||DO NOT let her live with you.|||Be aware that if you accept her as a tenant, this is what you are going to have to deal with. Personally, unless I were absolutely desperate to rent (and probably not even then) I would politely tell her this evening that you don't think that you are going to get along well as roommates, so you will not be renting her the room. Otherwise I can pretty much guarantee that you will never see any money, and will have to go to eviction to get her out of your place. There are other fish out there, so I'd pass on this one.|||Too many red flags. Pass on renting to her. If you let her move in, you WILL regret it.|||No - trust your gut. Anytime you have a bad reaction to someone, you need to abide by it, as there is usually a good reason why you don't feel comfortable. Keep looking for a roommate who

is more to your liking.|||Do not give her a key unless she pays up everything! She is clearly a user!

No comments:

Post a Comment